Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Miriam Margolyes in I'll Eat You Last


Miriam Margolyes as Sue Mengers

It was recently that Deborah and I went to see Miriam Margolyes in the John Logan play I'll Eat You Last. It was about Holywood agent Sue Mengers, a dynamic personality with a passion for movies and the stars who shone on the screen. Mengers represented many important actors throughout the 60s, 70s and early 80s, eventually losing many of her stars to a changing Hollywood that was very different to the one she knew. To learn more about Sue Mengers click SUE

Margolyes' performance was a powerhouse achievement, seemingly at ease with her character, and her American accent was faultless. She is certainly the complete actor, being able to transform herself into the person she is portraying, and someone who regards every detail with loving attention. I don't think I would have recognised her if I didn't already know she was the performer.

This play would have to be one of my favourite theatre going experiences.


The real Miriam Margolyes


The real Sue Mengers